Prince Harry is back with another episode of Keeping Up with the Sussexes: Charity Edition. This time, it’s all about Sentebale, the African charity he co-founded nearly two decades ago—which is now in the middle of a full-blown drama that could rival a Real Housewives reunion.
The 40-year-old royal-in-exile (aka the Duke of Sussex) spoke out on Thursday (April 3), just as The Charity Commission decided to roll up its sleeves and investigate the situation like a detective in a British crime drama.
A Royal Charity Gone Wild
Once upon a time in 2006, young Harry and his buddy Prince Seeiso of Lesotho had a dream: to help kids in southern Africa in honor of their late mothers. Fast-forward to today, and that noble cause has turned into a plot twist no one saw coming.
Here’s the tea: The entire board of trustees quit in protest over chairperson Dr. Sophie Chandauka. Then, Harry and Seeiso peaced out too, probably thinking, This is messier than my family’s Christmas dinner.
And because no scandal is complete without official paperwork, The Charity Commission announced it had opened “a regulatory compliance case” (which sounds way fancier than just saying “we’re looking into it”). They’re investigating whether past and present trustees did their jobs properly or if things went full Titanic.
Prince Harry: “This Is Not a Vibe”
Harry, who is now the unofficial spokesperson for royal-related chaos, clapped back with a statement that was equal parts heartfelt and Oh, no, you didn’t!
“From the start, Prince Seeiso and I wanted to help kids in Southern Africa in memory of our mothers,” he reminded everyone, before adding, “What’s happened over the past week has been heartbreaking to watch, especially when people just start making things up.” (Translation: Lies were told, and receipts will be presented.)
He also made it clear that he and the other former trustees were thrilled that The Charity Commission is stepping in, because, in his words, “We fully expect it will unveil the truth that collectively forced us to resign.” (Dramatic pause.)
Meanwhile, the Chairperson Has Entered the Chat
Dr. Chandauka also had some words. In her own statement, she basically said, “I welcome the investigation,” while subtly reminding everyone that she had already launched an internal review. (Aka: We’ve been looking into this, y’all just catching up.)
She also reassured the public that Sentebale’s day-to-day operations are still running smoothly, despite the behind-the-scenes soap opera. “We appreciate the patience, understanding, and support,” she said, which is corporate speak for “Please don’t stop donating just because things got dramatic.”
What’s Next?
So now, all eyes are on The Charity Commission as they sort through this royal mess. Will Sentebale emerge stronger? Will Harry spill more tea? Will someone turn this into a Netflix docuseries? Only time will tell.
Until then, grab your popcorn. 🍿
